If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather the wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the sea.
– Antoine de Sainte Exupery
Are your students yearning for the sea? I’d like to think mine are (well, were as I don’t have any this year), but maybe not…
What can we do to help them to yearn for the sea?
- Show them the effect they can have on the world
- Get them involved in communities of enthusiastic learners who are willing to try new things
- Show them they have choice and can make good choices
- Value their interests and show them where those interests can take them
What would you add to that list?
Image attribution – Like waves, we roll on